Sunday, July 19, 2009

Joining the fun


Painting and drawing, cooking and quilting - my favourite ways to spend my time! Having thought about sharing my journey in these areas for quite some time, I've decided to jump right in and just do it.

I'll start a watercolor class tomorrow, so that will be the first journey I'll share.


This quilt was a gift for a friend. It is machine pieced and hand quilted.







One of my original designs, made for the Exhibition of the Austrian Quilters Guild, the title "Heimat großer Töchter" (Home to great daughters - a variation of a line of Austrias National Anthem - Heimat bist Du großer Söhne - You are home to great /important Sons) made me think of all the work women do to build our lifes. I remembered especially what my mother told me about the time after the second world war and how her brother and his wife built their house out of bricks, wood and nails found in the ruins of buildings destroyed during the war.


I originally started drawing as I had troubles with designing my quilts. Soon I discovered Danny Gregory's 'Every Day Matters' group which equaly inspires and discourages me. Since I have started drawing and painting I have joined a watercolor class on a trip to Mallorca last September

and a trip with the same group to Cormons, Italy, in the middle of June.


Tomorrow I will start a one week watercolor class which I plan to report on regularely.

Quilterin

1 comment: