Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Jazz

Every summer the huge area in front of Vienna's town hall is used as an open air cinema, where Opera, Ballett and Concert movies are shown as soon as it is dark enough. The area leading up to the square in front of the town hall is filled with tables, chairs and places offering food and drinks from around the world. On sundays at lunch there is "Jazz Frühschoppen". Every sunday a different jazz group plays a free concert. For quite some time I have thought that this would be a great opportunity to sketch people, but this last sunday was the first time I finally managed to do it. Strenghtend with wine from Burgenland and a cheeseburger I withstood the summer heat and put pen to paper (rather the much famed pentel brush pen, Roz writes so much about).While I noticed a lot of people looking at me, I was very glad that no one tried to get a closer look. It is so much easier drawing or painting in public if one is part of a group!
OK, so there is a lot I have to learn about the human body :-).
As Sunday was also the end of the Austrian cycling race ending with 10 rounds around Ringstraße ending in front of city hall the jazz concert soon had a horrible background of anouncers and music from a radio program '"coming life from...... "

While I felt sorry for the musicians, I just packed up my stuff and left. Maybe, if the weather holds, I'll try again next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment