Monday, November 14, 2011

Waldviertel 2011

Two years ago the Weekend in Waldviertel was my first painting trip with Albert Hoffmann. Though finances did not really allow participating in this years trip and I could not get the necessary vacation days at work, I just had join for Saturday and Sunday. We had just returned from Grado, I felt that I had made a major step forward with watercolor and just needed to press on.
The above painting is of a little chapel "Chapel 19" in Merkenbrechts, which today is part of a huge army training area. As it lies in the outskirts, people are still allowed there as long as no trainings take place but "photography and drawing is forbidden". So instructions were: if someone official comes by asking what we are doing: we are PAINTING and that is not forbidden!

Merkenbrechts itself is a typical little village in Waldviertel with the farmbuildings arranged around the village green and the water reservoir for the firefighters. While the little lake would offer a lovely motive we decided to paint the old farm buildings and the little gardens with their picket fences (not white!) in front. Chapel 19 and this village square are two of my most successfull paintings till now. I like them even better than my work in Grado.
The last painting of the day was a motive we did two years ago as well an no, I will not post the first one. While it is OK, I do not like it as much as the first two paintings of the day.

On Sunday we drove to another villag offering a 'castle' at a lake, but the watercolor painting I did, I consider a spectacular failiure.

We then drove into the village to draw the other side of the 'castle' and as I tend to do, when frustrated with watercolor I returned to drawing, trying to remember everything Albert taught me about creating interest with crosshatching. While not the most successfull drawing, I still like it and learned a lot from doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment