Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sleepless in Vienna - Easy Street Back

 After finishing the top for my Easy Street Quilt I tried to figure out how much fabric I would need for the back. As I hardly ever buy more than 3 meters nothing I had would be enough so either I would need to piece a back or buy something. Kill all my budgeting plans on the third day of the year???  I spent a rather restless evening neither being able to concentrate on sewing something else or watching TV, so I picked a book read and went to bed.
 Reading enabled my brain to do it's thing and suddenly I had to get up again, start to rummage through the left over fabrics from the top, measure, figure out dimensions and started cutting. Around 2 am I decided to go to bed and continue in the morning.
 Voila, Block A in size 40:-) All it needs now is a small strip of purple to bring it up the the size of the top.
Washing the floor of the entry, getting the ladder out of the store room and here it is. Tomorrow I will baste it. To be able to machine quilt it, I'll have to finally get serious with practicing on a smaller scrap quilt.
Evening hours were spent on the first blocks of a calender quilt out of a magazin, a friend of mine publishes: Patchwork und Quiltjournal .

On Monday it is back to work and a wonderfull "piecefull" vacation is over. 


5 comments:

  1. What a clever idea for the backing. Your top looks great as well. Lynne, MB, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great backing idea - you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the backing. What a great idea...you are some kind of math wizard to make that work and I am in total awe. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe you made a big block for the back. The math must have been crazy but what a great idea and especially if it gets rid of more scraps instead of buying more. I pieced my back but nothing as spectacular as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - your backing is BRILLIANT! What a fantastic idea. I look forward to seeing it all quilted.

    ReplyDelete