Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dreaming of travelling again

I have enough of winter! This year we have a lot of snow here in Vienna, thought it luckily is usually gone within a few days. I want to be out and about again, being able to stop and draw when something catches my eye, but it is cold, wet, windy, snowy and uncomfortable. I still feel cold after my Sunday walk around Zentralfriedhof. Though the snow is mostly gone today, it does not feel like spring at all.

So all that is left to do is reminisce about all the wonderful painting opportunities I had last year. Which lead me to remember that I never showed the few drawings and paintings I made during a cruise I took at the beginning of November.

Our first stop was at Bari:
Our second stop was at Katakolon, where I did paint and draw, but the results were rather frustrating and I will not show them.

On Santorin I was a bit more successful:

Mykonos was and evening stop and we did not paint there.
Piräus and Athens proved to be difficult as at the time we stopped there, strikes and unrests made life difficult not only for the people living there but us tourists as well. We wanted to have a quick look around the Acropolis (I would have LOVED to be able to paint there) but as we arrived at the gate a whole bus full of police in full combat gear arrived and we decided to leave before we might get caught up in some unpleasentness (though those guys would have made great models....). One of our group fell and hurt herself, so we slowly made our way back to the busstop and just stopped for a quick sketch of a small lane on our way:
Korfu also offered a small lane as motive but this time I took my chance with watercolor:
The last stop was in Dubrovnik which has been restored to it's former glory and was a very clean and welcoming place:

I think I'll check my supplies now so I'll be ready when the weather changes and I no longer risk frostbite in my fingers, when I stop to draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment