Sunday, February 8, 2015

Winter in Bloom

To be honest, winter is not my favourite time of the year. Up until christmas I am too busy to mind the darkness and cold too much and Punsch only tastes really good if it is cold and - in an ideal world - snow is falling.
 Come January though I have enough from the cold and darkness and especially in a year like this when there is hardly any snow (though I do not need it in the city) winter just is too long and I count every minute the days get longer.
 Using a sunny Saturday afternoon for a long walk outside and training my eyes to notice small things I find a lot of plants that flower in winter or show that spring is not too far away yet. Not only left over roses from last autum, though they do give a lovely spot of colour or the hazelnut which has been enticed to open it's flowers due to some unseasonaly "hot" days in January, but bushes and trees that really flower in Winter. Like the chinese winterflower (Chimonanthus praecox) or
 the wintercherries (Lonicera).

 Looking up I discoverd the winter snowball (Viburnum x bodnantense) preparing to flower and on another twig the first open blooms.
A week later I found the first open crocusses.
 Snowdrops push up through the old leaves and
a red christmas rose is starting to bloom too.
 I have to admit though that I love the winter aconite (Eranthis hyemalis) most!
The tragic reality is that while these early flowers are messengers of Spring today it is snowing and there are many weeks ahead, which will bring more cold and snow. In the meantime I will have to dream of having a garden one day where I will only plant trees, bushes and flowers which bloom in Winter and early sping, so they help us to wait till Spring and Summer are back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment