Saturday, July 4, 2015

Tour de fleece

Today it starts! The most fun "race" on earth! Many years ago Yarn Harlot created a fun event for spinners that took on it's own life once Ravelry joined in.

You might wonder what the "Tour de fleece" is. Well, Spinners all over the world will spin every day the bike race Tour de France is on. So this year, every day from July 4th till July 26th with the exception of the two rest days ( the 13th and the 21st) we spin. Everyone decides for oneself if using a wheel (or more) or a hand spindle or both, maybe the goal is to spin for a certain time every day, to spin a certain amount of wool, a special kind of wool or something else.

There are teams on Ravelry, challenges (for the difficult mountains) and a lot of fun all around. Some teams offer prices, have red lantern spinners and more.

As I am the proud owner of a spinning wheel since the end of March I have decided to join the fun this year.

I am part of the "Team chantimanou" and this is my avatar for the time of the race (I will not just improve my spinning but I also learned somthing new with my photo software).
My goal is to spin 500 gr. of "Mäusespeck" roving I bought soon after I got my spinning wheel but decided I needed more experience to tackle. I fell so in love with the colors and the feel of the fibers that I saved up so I could buy everything my favourit dyer - Regenbogenwolle - offered in her shop. I should have enough to knit a cute cardigan I have on my "to knit" list for ages.

Some spinners have started at midnight, I have decided to wait for the official start this afternoon and all the other days I will spin in the evenings.

I am looking forward to some fun weeks of spinning, chatting in the Ravelry forums and hopefully ending up with the perfect wool for my planned cardigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment